ABOUT ONDA MAROCCO
Moroccan Airports Authority (ONDA) is the developer and the manager of the airport infrastructure and also the air navigation services provider in Morocco. ONDA’s missions are :
- Plan maintenance operations and development of air traffic airports;
- To manage the air navigation facilities and the implementation of means for air traffic control;
- To process passengers, air cargo as well as all services dedicated to users satisfaction;
- To develop linking with international organizations and airports to meet the needs of air traffic;
- To operate of certain projects and services that may grant to other partner’s needs;
- To provide high-level education in civil aviation (in civil aviation, controllers, and electronics) and airport operations management fields. (reference project)
Morocco National Airport Administration manages all the Air Traffic Control services from all over the country’s territory, the collaboration with the neighboring countries and Moroccan airport services. Datanet Systems’ project envisaged the delivery, implementation, and commissioning of a national IP network for air navigation. The national network implementation objectives were the following:
- creating a high−speed backbone network;
- integration of all data communication services, IP and non−IP radar and voice, both standard and proprietary;
- converting point−to−point radar data to point−to−multipoint distribution by using network resources;
- cost savings by switching from dedicated Long-distance communications for each service to a converged IP network;
- centralized and local monitoring of service operation, reporting their availability parameters;
- scalability and flexibility in defining future IPv4 and IPv6 services;
- secure network integration with international partners’ networks.
Addressing the client’s requirements meant adapting the “Integrated communications solution for Air Traffic Control”, a design blueprint developed by Datanet Systems, whose full capabilities were demonstrated in the company’s 20 years of operation.
The backbone network was built using fully redundant platforms from the ASR1OOO series. Depending on typology − airport or radar − each site included standard redundant blocks for Sync / Async serial services, analogue voice, IP services using Cisco ISR and Catalyst 385O series equipment. The network design allows replication of functional blocks according to future needs without affecting production services.
The implementation solution and support were provided by the collaboration with Moroccan based integrator DDM.
- From an operational point of view, the new infrastructure considerably increases the availability of services by offering redundant distribution routes of type A − B that allow a 99.999% target achievement.;
- Switching from circuit−based communications topologies to a packet−based communications
network is an essential step in the development of Air Traffic Control services. The network’s intuitive and consistent design and services have been complemented by extensive customized training for ONDA technical operational staff, allowing penetration and assimilation of new technologies within the organization.
- The system can be extended and new modern features can be easily added, without affecting the operational traffic, being in full compliance with ATC’s security and availability requirements.
“Datanet Systems and DDM engineers’ expertize along with an exceptional delivery of services have successfully paved the way to a modern infrastructure for ONDA communication network.”
Mohamed Idoumghar, Project Manager, ONDA Morocco